Wednesday 11 March 2015

Artist: Rose Hale

My proposal for this exhibition is to explore what the concept of death means to me, looking at the essences left behind, the traces that form fragments of memory. But drawing from my own Pagan roots I wish to look at the regenerative aspect, the renewal – much like the preservation of the museum itself and how the lives of the workers are remembered. 
I am exploring the typical sights and scenes of death but having my own take on the recreation of something from the decay and sorrow that surrounds this subject matter. How from decay there comes a new growth, from the death of someone there begins the life of another and also how from the despair that comes from loss there is also healing and the opportunity to use sublimation and create from the grief.

I propose to create some projections (using acetate imagery and OHPs). The OHPs are to be used as part of the piece itself, I am interested in them being involved as part of the work as they represent the idea of nostalgic materials/equipment, time passing and the inevitability of things ending/dying out to make way for newer things. The projections represent the trace of memory, the never-ending remembrance that is within the minds of those who knew those who passed. I want to show the beauty and triumph that comes from death - the chance to start anew. But also how the memories can remain, fiercely and alive in their own way. 







I also propose to create a small book (possibly more than one) of images and fragments of writings that I want to show in the museum space itself or possibly in the gallery, wherever it would be suitable. This book will represent the preserved memories of death and also referring to the lives of the workers - acting as a tribute to the "monument" that will be the projection.






Below are images of work, the beginning pieces that will either be used in the art book or projected in the space.








No comments:

Post a Comment